Saturday, October 19, 2013

Fruit Crisp



I had loads of apples given to us by our neighbour's friend's apple tree. I didn't want them to go to waste therefore I had to bake something!!! ;-)

Tonight I made a really yummy fruit crisp! This is another really easy recipe...so easy I made it at night :) I even have some pictures!

I got this recipe from the best cool book ever...every house should have one, "Better Homes & Gardens Cook Book"
Let's get started:

Oven- 375•


The guts/fruit:
5 cups sliced, peeled cooking apples, (or pears, peaches, apricots, frozen unsweetened peach slices, cherries, rhubarb or berries) 2 to 4 tablespoons of granulated sugar. Note: The picture shows my chunky apples (done with an apple slicer). But I sliced them smaller after using the slicer.




The glory, aka- Topping:
1/2 cup regular rolled oats
1/2 cup packed brown sugar 1/4 cup all-purpose flour 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, ginger, or cinnamon (I have an apple pie blend I use) 
1/4 cup butter or margarine Optional: 1/4 cup chopped nuts or coconut. 




The nitty gritty:
1. For fruit filling the fruit it frozen. Do not drain. Place fruit and a 2 quart square baking dish. (Or as I did, you can use a pie dish or 11 x 7 dish).

2. For topping, in a separate bowl, combine oats, brown sugar, flour and nutmeg combination; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs and then stir in nuts. Sprinkle topping over the fruit that's in your baking dish.



3. Bake in a 375° oven for 30 to 35 minutes (40 minutes for thawed fruit) until fruit is tender and topping is golden. 

Serve warm with ice cream! Done and done!

This recipe makes enough for one dish, but I had so many apples I simply doubled it and made two! No complaints here :-)

All baked and ready to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment